Teenage girl loses her baby and ability to walk after a tattoo infection
A 16-year-old Colombian girl has lost her baby and will remain in a wheelchair for the rest of her life after a tattoo on her right breast got infected.
Luisa Fernanda fell ill after the tattoo became infected and later suffered a miscarriage. Doctors told her that she would never walk again after the infection spread into her spinal cord.
“As I had to take a lot of medicine, I had a miscarriage and lost the son I was carrying.” She is now using her experiences to warn other youngsters about the dangers of tattoos.
“As I had to take a lot of medicine, I had a miscarriage and lost the son I was carrying. A year ago I had a tattoo done and it caused the bacteria that affected the spinal cord and stopped me from walking again.
It was hard when I left hospital because I needed help to get in and out of my wheelchair and my mum is not strong enough.
I was ashamed of being seen outside on the street, because people would point at me, but later I realised it was not good to stay at home all the time.”